2017-18 Adult & High School Lecture Series
Sunday night sessions for adults and high school students
will begin with prayer and a lecture
by Natasha Virnig (see below for details).
Adults and students will then break-out into
separate small groups for discussion and faith sharing.
Humanity’s Universal Search for Meaning & Happiness:
· What does it mean to be human?
· Is there any meaning or purpose to my life?
· Is there a God and can we know anything about God?
· What is it?
· How do I read it?
· Is it true?
Intro to the Trinity
God the Father: Revealed through Covenants of Love
· Why IS God love?
· What is unique about the Christian understanding of God?
God the Father: Covenant w Israel & Ten Commandments
· How did God relate to humanity before Jesus Christ?
· Why were the Israelites God’s chosen people and what does that mean?
|God the Father: Hebrew Prophets
· Who is the Messiah?
· What role did the Prophets play?
· How does God’s relationship with Israel evolve?
· How does Israel’s understanding of God evolve/deepen?
|Jesus Christ: Messiah
· Is this the Messiah?
· How did Jesus fulfill the prophecies?
· What did the Israelites expect from a Messiah and how was Jesus different?
|Jesus Christ: Teaching & Miracles
· What did Jesus teach?
· What did Jesus do during his life?
|Jesus Christ: Lamb of God & Atoning Sacrifice
· What is the difference between Jesus’ death and the death of other great social reformers & teachers- like Socrates, Gandhi, or Martin Luther King Jr.?
· What did Jesus’ death accomplish for our salvation?
|Holy Spirit: the Sanctifier, Animator, Sustainer, Advocate
· What do Catholics believe about the Holy Spirit?
· What role does the Holy Spirit play in my life and in the life of the Church?
|Bringing it all together- The Trinity
· What does it mean for God to be “three in one”?
· What did the Ecumenical Councils define about the Trinity?
|Problem of Evil:
· Why do good things happen to bad people?
· If God is all-powerful and all-loving, why does God allow the innocent to suffer?
· What about natural disasters and other examples of suffering in which free will and human choice are not involved?
|The Church Part I
· What is the Church?
· How was the Church founded?
· How did the Church grow and change?
· What does it mean for the Church to be one, holy, catholic, and apostolic?
|The Church Part II
· What is the Magisterium and what is its role?
· What is the Papacy and what is its role?
· What is the relationship between the Bible and the Church?
|Communion of Saints: Universal Call to Holiness
· What is the communion of saints?
· What is the difference between the church militant, suffering, and triumphant?
· What does it mean to be holy?
· What is God’s plan for my life?
|Mary & the Saints
· Who was Mary?
· What are the Marian Dogmas?
· What is Mary’s role in the story of salvation?
· What does it mean to be a Saint?
· What is our relationship to the Saints?
|Intro to the Sacraments
· What is a Sacrament?
· What role do Sacraments play in the life of the Church?
· What is the purpose of a Sacrament?
· What is the relationship between liturgy and sacrament?
· What does baptism do?
· Why do we need it?
· Why was Jesus baptized?
|February 4||No Class
· What does Confirmation do?
· Why do we need it?
· Is it in the Bible?
· What is the relationship between confirmation and baptism?
|Eucharist Part I: “Behold the Lamb of God”
· What is the relationship between the Eucharist and Jesus’ sacrifice on the Cross?
· Is the Eucharist a sacrifice?
· How does the Eucharist relate to sacrifices in the Hebrew Scriptures?
· Why is the Eucharist celebrated within the context of the liturgy?
|Eucharist Part II: “Do this in remembrance of me”
· Why is the Eucharist the “source and summit” of our faith?
· What role does the Eucharist play in my salvation and in the life of the Church?
· Why is the Eucharist a foretaste of heaven or “pledge of the glory to come”?
|Sacrament of Reconciliation
· Why should I confess my sins to a priest?
· What does it mean for God to forgive me?
· Am I still punished for my sins after I die?
· What does it mean to be reconciled to God and to the Church?
· What is the purpose of marriage?
· What does it mean for marriage to be a vocation?
· What is the difference between a sacramental marriage and a civil marriage?
· Why is it wrong to have sex outside of marriage?
· Why is the Catholic Church against contraception?
· What does the Catholic Church say about gender? Can I change my gender?
· What does the Catholic Church say about homosexuality?
· How should I relate to my gay, lesbian, or transgender friends?
· What are the “three degrees of holy orders”?
· Why is the priesthood male?
· What effect does ordination have on a man?
· What does it mean for the priest to act in the person of Christ?
|April 1||No Class: Easter Sunday! He Is Risen!
|Sacrament of the Sick
· Who should receive this sacrament?
· What is the purpose of this sacrament?
· How do we prepare for death?
|Catholic Social Teaching Part 1
· What is the source of morality?
· What makes an act good? What makes an act evil?
· What is the difference between a mortal and venial sin?
· What does it mean to be made for communion?
· What obligations and responsibilities do I have as a member of the human family?
Catholic Social Teaching Part 2: The Dignity of Human Life
What does the Catholic Church teach about:
· Capital Punishment?
|The Four Last Things Part 1: Death, Purgatory, Hell
· What happens when I die?
· What is the last judgment?
· How will I be judged?
· What is purgatory?
· What does it mean to be damned?
· Who goes to hell?
|The Four Last Things Part 2: Heaven
· What is heaven?
· How do I get there?
· What about people who don’t believe in Jesus?